Wednesday, June 28, 2006

If I were Sixers GM...

The Sixers have earned the reputation for one of the worst run organizations in the league. They not only sign players to long-term contracts, but significantly overpay for those players (e.g. McKie, Snow, Dalembert, Korver). They misread talent, less so now than when Larry Brown was here but letting Larry Hughes, Raja Bell, and Bruce Bowen all go is inexcusable. Let's just say the other departments are on the same level as management. So I figured if there was someone in there who understood player talent and the salary cap like me. Since I am not a fan of trading Iverson (actually I know it almost has to be done, but I love him) I will do two scenarios with and without trading him.

Without trading him...
I would trade Dalembert as quickly as possible, he's a good blocker and athlete but his contract is an embarassment along with his desire. I'd trade him to a San Antonio or another team for a late draft pick and a spare part or two. If to San Antonio it would probably be for Brent Barry and that Oberto guy. I would then draft with the 13th pick a point guard like Marcus Williams and then trade something for a second round pick and draft a big man like Steve Smith. Then I would sign a defensive swingman (Greg Buckner) in the offseason. Clearly if I had more control and more knowledge of what teams are willing to trade this would be easier but as an outsider this is the way I see it. The lineup would look like this

Williams Barry
Iverson Free Agent/Green
Iguodala Korver
Webber Smith
Hunter Oberto

Yeah I know that team is not very exciting, but it would get us to the playoffs. I also would never ever let Korver play more than 25 minutes a game, and ask if he knows what defense or move on offense means. I would also take Webber out back club in his knees if we didn't have to pay his contract since it is uninsured because of his knees.

If we trade Iverson...
First if the Hawks came up to me and said "we'll give you Josh Smith and the number 5 for Iverson" and the Celtics said "we'll give you Wally and the 7th pick for Iverson" I'd laugh at Danny Ainge and shake hands with Billy Knight. I would still trade Dalembert for the same spare parts, but the trade would mean less since we would be getting multiple players for Iverson. If we had to trade with the Celtics then I'd have Wally and Korver fight to the death and the winner will be known as the most overrated player in the league. I would push the Celtics to include Al Jefferson or Gerald Green and a second round pick and throw Korver in on our side. Then I would draft Cedric Simmons or Shelden Williams as the first pick and Marcus Williams as our second pick. In the second round I'd take either Gansey or Novak to take over as guy who can only shoot threes. Then sign or trade for a defensive minded swingman player so the lineup would look like this...

Williams Barry
Smith/Wally Free Agent/Green
Iguodala G. Green
Webber Simmons/Shelden
Hunter Oberto

So now we have a much younger lineup that will not only be exciting to watch now, but help us be a contender sooner than expected. Also it helps us get out of our salary cap hell. As Simmons or Shelden develops I'd also start shaving back Webber's minutes so he is more effective when he plays, is fresher as the season goes on, and so he isn't on the court as much to slow everything up.

Basically the Sixers have dug themselves a deep hole and will have difficulty getting out of it, it depends whether King has the balls to take the risks to get us out of it, or the Sixers have the balls to fire him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home